CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Brynn's trip to the hospital 4/23/08

Wednesday morning Brynn woke up with hives all over her body and she said it hurt when she walked. I gave her benadryl and called the doctor. She goes to Dr. Bailey in Pinetop so we took her there at noon. By then the benadryl had helped the hives start to fade a little and she wasn't concerned by her not wanting to walk...she just said if the benadryl was working she couldn't do anything and just to watch her. So, we went to wal-mart after the appt and Brynn started with a fever and the hives started in full force again. I gave her more benadryl then at 4:00 pm we noticed her feet were swollen. Then by seven her feet, hands and then lips started to swell. I took Alise and Chloe to my mom's and we headed to the hospital. Brynn had had 5 shots eight days earlier and we had read on the mumps measles shot that hives and joint pain "could" be a bad allergic reaction and to seek help immediately. So Doug and I were really scared that something really bad was happening. Poor Brynn was so scared to be going to the hospital, by the time we got to the light in Show Low she was saying she was going to throw up...I think because she was so scared. They gave her an iv when we got there (which was hell!) She was crying she was scared, I want to go home...please don't poke me. It was too much for me! Doug held her down and I held her legs. It was so sad. Thank goodness they only had to poke her once! They gave her some steroids, more benadryl and ib profen. It took about 6 hours for the swelling to start to come down. I had to leave the hospital and midnight so I could go home and feed Chloe...she is such a good baby, she waited 6 hours to feed. My Dad came and picked me up and helped Doug give her a blessing which gave us comfort. It was still very hard to leave because she was still so swollen and there was no improvement then.

She came home the next day with the swelling a lot better. She has to take steroids for 5 days and a perscription stronger than benadryl for a week. Today is Saturday and the swelling is gone but the hives have been bad. Today is the first little improvement of the hives. We believe that she will heal completely in a few days. We are so thankful that it was this and nothing permanent.



This picture was taken Thursday night.



These picture were taken Friday...the hives would move around her body but alway covered most of it.


10 comments:

Jen & Blake said...

Oh my gosh! How scary! I am happy to hear that you got the swelling to go down. What a brave little girl.
What an adorable little family have, your baby is a doll along with the rest of your girls. We can't wait to meet her:) Hope your doing great!

Suni said...

Poor baby! That is so scary! I have heard to many scary stories about after shot reactions....I just don't know if I keep getting those shots for my girls! I hope she gets better soon!

moriah said...

thanks for your comment. i am glad you found our blog. it it so nice to have people say thank you. we don't hear it enough. they are usually unrealistically critical.

Go Farr Family said...

How scarry - glad she is better. What a precious little girl she is

Unknown said...

Our poor Brynn!! We are so glad to here you are alright, now. What a scary time for you guys. Hope you are all doing better now, we love you Brynn.

Stuart Family said...

Oh Kris!!Poor little Brynn. She looks miserable.Although she's still so very cute.Call me if you need anything.

Brannon and Leslie said...

Oh, poor thing. That looks absolutely miserable. What a scarey experience. She looks so sad with her hand on her head. I hope she feels better soon.

Teresa :) said...

Hey Kristi, I thought I saw you up here that night but we were so busy and I didnt want to bother you guys. Those kind of things are so scary and hard for the parents. Im glad she is doing better though. That makes me a little nervous to go get all of Jaydas shots for kindergarten. See ya later :)

Karlee said...

How scary! That is so sad, I'm glad she's doing better though. I have never heard of anything like that happening after vaccines, how crazy!

Becky said...

Poor Brynn! That must have been miserable for her. I can't imagine what you were feeling! It's so hard for us mom's to see our kids in pain:(